What does tech E&O insurance cover?
Technology errors and omissions insurance (tech E&O) protects your business against accusations of professional negligence, mistakes, and oversights. It also protects against data breaches that affect your business or a client.
What is technology errors and omissions insurance?
Tech E&O insurance is a bundle designed for tech professionals. It includes:
Errors and omissions insurance provides protection when a client accuses your business of professional negligence, such as an error or oversight. Cyber liability insurance protects your business against data breaches and cyberattacks – including claims that you failed to prevent a data breach or cyberattack that affected a client.
What is a data breach?
A data breach occurs when cybercriminals access a computer system or network without permission and steal confidential information.
The data thief might expose the information online or hold it hostage until the business owner pays a ransom. And there’s no guarantee the data will be returned if a ransom is paid.
Common causes of data breaches include:
- Malware and viruses
- Phishing scams
- Application vulnerabilities
- Employee errors, such as lost laptops or weak passwords
- Insider attacks
Data breaches can be expensive and hurt a business’s reputation. Cyber liability insurance helps pay for the costs of a data breach.
How does cyber liability insurance work?
Cyber liability insurance specifically helps businesses respond to and recover from data breaches. These policies come in two types:
- First-party cyber liability insurance covers data breaches on your own systems
- Third-party cyber liability insurance covers data breaches on clients’ systems that you worked on or for which you are responsible
Read our article "First-party vs. third-party cyber liability insurance" for details on how these types of insurance differ.
How does tech E&O insurance work?
Tech E&O insurance protects your business from accusations of professional negligence that caused your client financial loss.
Most insurance providers bundle both first-party and third-party cyber liability coverage with tech E&O policies. Talk to your insurer to verify that your E&O policy offers cyber liability protection. If not, you can usually add it for a higher premium.
A comprehensive tech E&O policy helps pay for:
- Lawsuits over professional errors and omissions, including attorney's fees and court costs
- Lawsuits over a data breach on a client's system, including attorney's fees and court costs
- Customer notification that personal information was compromised
- Credit and fraud monitoring services for affected customers
- Data breach source investigations
- Public relations and reputation management campaigns
- Ransom demands from a cybercriminal who is holding data hostage
Get free quotes and compare policies with TechInsurance
TechInsurance helps IT and tech business owners compare business insurance quotes with one easy online application. Start an application today to find the right policy at the most affordable price for your business.