An employee at a cleaning business mops a client's floor.

Cleaning Insurance

What kind of work do you do?
Choose from the nation's best insurance providers
Logos of Insureon's partners.

Cleaning businesses we insure

We offer the largest online marketplace for small business insurance. When you apply with us, you'll work with a licensed insurance agent who specializes in coverage for your profession.
Don't see your industry? Don't worry. We cover most businesses.

Top insurance policies for cleaning businesses

Business insurance helps pay for accidents and lawsuits, and shows clients that your company is dependable. These insurance policies protect against the most common risks in the cleaning industry.

General liability insurance

General liability insurance icon

A general liability policy protects cleaners against legal costs from third-party property damage and injuries, such as a client tripping over a mop. It's often required for a commercial lease.

  • Slip-and-fall injuries
  • Accidental damage to a client's property
  • Libel and other advertising injuries

Workers' comp insurance

Workers’ compensation insurance icon

Most states require businesses with employees to carry workers' compensation insurance. Personal health insurance won’t cover work-related injuries, which makes this policy crucial for sole proprietors too.

  • Work-related medical bills
  • Disability benefits
  • Lawsuits from workplace accidents

Commercial auto insurance

Commercial auto insurance icon

Vehicles owned by a cleaning business must have this coverage to comply with state laws. It helps pay for financial losses in an accident, including medical expenses and property repairs.

  • Auto accident injuries
  • Auto accident property damage
  • Theft of a cleaning van or other vehicle

Business owner's policy

Business owner’s policy icon

Small business owners and contractors are usually eligible for a business owner's policy, or BOP. It bundles general liability coverage and commercial property insurance at a discount.

  • Client bodily injuries
  • Accidental damage to a client's property
  • Stolen or damaged business property

Commercial umbrella insurance

Umbrella / excess liability insurance icon

Umbrella insurance boosts the protection of your general liability, commercial auto, or employer's liability insurance policy once the limit is reached on a claim.

  • Personal injury lawsuits
  • Auto accident lawsuits
  • Workplace injury lawsuits

Fidelity bonds

Fidelity bond icon

Clients might ask your business to secure a fidelity bond, also called a janitorial bond, before they will allow your workers on their premises. It reimburses the client in the event of employee theft.

  • Theft of cash or property
  • Forgery
  • Illegal funds transfer

Business insurance costs for cleaning companies

The owner of a cleaning business calculating insurance costs.

From our customer data, here's a quick look at average cleaning business insurance costs:

General liability: $48 per month
Business owner's policy: $76 per month
Workers' compensation: $136 per month

Factors that can influence your premiums include:

  • Your profession, such as house cleaning, carpet cleaning, or window cleaning
  • Number of employees
  • Value of your cleaning equipment and other property
  • Types of insurance purchased
  • Policy limits and deductibles
  • Additional insured endorsements
  • Claims history

How do I get cleaning business insurance?

TechInsurance helps you get insured quickly so you can secure contracts, comply with state laws, and protect your business against costly lawsuits and accidents. We work only with top-rated insurance companies to secure the best possible coverage for your cleaning business.

You can get the right insurance in three simple steps:

Our licensed insurance agents know the cleaning industry and will help make sure you get the right coverage at an affordable price. Gain peace of mind with advice from expert agents and policies from the leading carriers in the nation.

Verified small business insurance reviews

Hear from business owners like you who purchased insurance coverage.

Common questions about insurance for cleaning businesses

Find answers to your questions about commercial cleaning insurance.

Is my cleaning business required to have a license?

Generally, state laws determine whether you need a business license. You also likely need to register in your state if your business operates under a name other than your own (also called a "doing business as" or DBA name).

Here are a couple instances where cleaning professionals might need a license:

  • Your locality requires a license. States, counties, cities, and other jurisdictions can have specific license requirements for businesses. You'll need to do a little research to make sure your cleaning business is complying with regulations.
  • Some tasks require a license. Certain types of cleaning services may need a contractor's license. For example, pressure washing and other activities that involve wastewater discharge may require a contractor's license. Again, this depends on local laws.

The requirements for a license may include business insurance coverage or a bond. You will also need to pay an application fee and renew the license when it expires.

Does my cleaning business need a bond?

A fidelity bond, also called a janitorial bond, protects your clients from dishonest employees. There are several reasons a cleaning business might decide to buy a janitorial bond:

  • You need a bond to get licensed. In some states, a bond is part of the requirements for getting a cleaning business license. Cities and counties sometimes have additional licensing laws and requirements, which could include a bond.
  • You need a bond to sign a contract. Some clients will require your company to carry a bond before they will allow your employees on their premises. This is especially true for government entities and larger clients that might employ your business.
  • You need a bond to attract new clients. Clients will typically choose to work with a bonded and insured company over one that does not carry this protection. A bond shows clients that your business is reliable and guarantees reimbursement in the event of theft.

Note that you may also see this kind of bond referred to as a surety bond.

What other types of insurance coverage do cleaning businesses need?

Depending on the specifics of your business, you may need additional types of coverage. Cleaning business owners should also consider:

  • Hired and non-owned auto insurance (HNOA): Cleaners who drive their own cars to clients' homes and offices should invest in this insurance, as your personal auto insurance won't cover business use. HNOA provides auto liability coverage for personal, leased, and rented vehicles used by your business.
  • Commercial property insurance: Homeowner's insurance provides little to no protection for business property, which is why you may need commercial property insurance. It protects against financial losses from fires, storms, and burglaries.
  • Inland marine insurance: Because commercial property insurance only covers items at your business location, you may need additional coverage for cleaning supplies stored off-site or brought to job sites. Contractor's tools and equipment insurance is one example of this coverage which can protect a contractor's carpet cleaners and other equipment.