House cleaner polishing wood table.

House Cleaner Insurance

House Cleaning
Choose from the nation's best insurance providers
Logos of Insureon's partners.
House cleaners cleaning up a client's break room.
Light bulb

Get the right insurance

TechInsurance connects you with a licensed insurance agent who knows the house cleaning business insurance industry. Get quotes from top insurance companies to match your unique business needs with our easy online application.

6 insurance policies every house cleaner should consider

These policies protect against the most common risks house cleaners face.

General liability insurance

General liability insurance icon

This policy protects house cleaners against legal costs related to third-party property damage and injuries, such as a client slipping on a wet floor. It's often required by commercial leases and contracts.

  • Slip-and-fall injuries
  • Accidental damage to a client's property
  • Libel and other advertising injuries

Workers' comp insurance

Workers’ compensation insurance icon

Most states require home cleaning businesses with employees to carry workers' comp. Health insurance can deny claims for on-the-job injuries, which makes this policy valuable for sole proprietors too.

  • Medical bills for injured workers
  • Disability benefits
  • Lawsuits from workplace accidents

Commercial auto insurance

Commercial auto insurance icon

Business vehicles owned by a house cleaner must have this coverage to comply with state laws. It helps pay for financial losses in an accident, including legal costs and property repairs.

  • Auto accident injuries
  • Auto accident property damage
  • Theft of a cleaning van or other vehicle

Business owner's policy

Business owner’s policy icon

Small home cleaning businesses and contractors are usually eligible for a business owner's policy (BOP), which bundles general liability and commercial property insurance at a discount.

  • Client bodily injuries
  • Damaged customer property
  • Stolen or damaged business property

Commercial umbrella insurance

Umbrella / excess liability insurance icon

Umbrella insurance boosts the protection of your general liability, commercial auto, or employer's liability insurance policy once the limit is reached on a claim.

  • Personal injury lawsuits
  • Auto accident lawsuits
  • Workplace injury lawsuits

Fidelity bonds

Fidelity bond icon

Clients might ask your business to secure a fidelity bond, also called a janitorial bond, before they will allow your workers on their premises. It reimburses the client in the event of employee theft.

  • Theft of cash or property
  • Forgery
  • Illegal funds transfer

House cleaner insurance costs

The owner of a cleaning business calculating insurance costs.

From our customer data, here's a quick look at the average costs of common house cleaner insurance policies:

General liability: $44 per month
Business owner's policy: $69 per month
Workers' compensation: $116 per month

Factors that can influence cleaning business insurance costs include:

  • Cleaning services offered, such as carpet cleaning or window cleaning
  • Number of employees
  • Types of insurance purchased
  • Coverage limits and deductibles
  • Claims history
Verified small business insurance reviews

Hear from business owners like you who purchased insurance coverage.

Why house cleaners choose TechInsurance

Get insured quickly with TechInsurance

Get insurance fast so you can get started working with clients. Fill out our easy online application, choose a policy, and pay online to start coverage today.

House cleaning professional dusting off a client's dryer.
Get insured quickly with TechInsurance
Get insurance fast so you can get started working with clients. Fill out our easy online application, choose a policy, and pay online to start coverage today.
Gain client confidence
Insurance shows clients your business is reliable, and some contracts even require it. View and print your certificate of insurance anytime with TechInsurance.
Get My Certificate
Get answers to technical questions
TechInsurance has licensed insurance professionals who specialize in house cleaning business insurance in all 50 states. You’re assigned a dedicated account manager who’s ready to help.
Contact Us

Common questions about house cleaning insurance

Find answers to frequently asked questions about house cleaning business insurance.

Is my house cleaning business required to have a license?

Typically, house cleaners don't need a specialized business license to operate. However, you'll most likely need to file for a general business license and register with your state.

With a general business license, you'll be able to collect and report sales tax on any cleaning supplies you purchase, if you're charging your clients for the products you use.

When registering your business, if you call your business by any name other than your own, you'll need a doing business as (DBA) license to operate legally.

Depending on the state you work in, you may need a specific license, bond, or permit to comply with area laws. If your company regularly deals with cleaning product disposal or harsh cleaning agents, you may have obtain a special permit that's regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

You should also check with your municipality and city for any additional licensing, bonding, and insurance requirements specific to your business.

What other insurance coverage do house cleaning service businesses need?

When building a comprehensive risk management plan for a house cleaning business, small business owners may need additional types of insurance, outside of general liability coverage and workers' compensation insurance, to cover all risks and liabilities.

Some policies house cleaners and maid service businesses should consider for complete peace of mind are:

  • Hired and non-owned auto (HNOA) insurance covers work-related accidents if you or your employees use personal, leased, or rented vehicles for work. Most personal auto insurance policies are unlikely to cover these types of claims, like taking supplies to a job site, running a work errand, or visiting a client's home in your personal car.
  • Inland marine insurance safeguards your business property (such as products, tools, and equipment) while it's in transit or stored at an off-site location. Specifically, contractor's tools and equipment coverage is perfect for cleaning companies that use cleaning equipment valued at less than $10k and is less than five years old, like a carpet cleaner.
  • Commercial property insurance protects against financial losses from fires, storms, and burglaries. This policy is important to carry since homeowner's insurance provides little to no protection for business property.

Cleaning businesses we insure

Don't see your industry? Don't worry. We cover most businesses.